Find a roofer in Suffolk, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The timeframe for a roof replacement really depends on the size of your roof, but there are also many other things involved. The typical roof for a residence is about 3,000 sq. feet, so normally, a roofing contractor can finish a roof replacement within a working day.
Another thing you need to take into account is the weather report in your area. Storms will put a damper on work and this will push out the timeline. If this is going on during your roof replacement project, you should anticipate your roof taking a few more days to get done.
The style of your roof is another factor that you should think about. Its grade, the number of angles, valleys, and facets will need to be factored in when your roofing contractor is giving an estimate for your project. A roof with more features will take more time and your roof replacement professional can approximate the hours for the project.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
Asphalt shingles are going to be the most affordable materials for your roof replacement, and just because they are the cheaper option, it doesn’t mean they should be disregarded. Truthfully, you’ll see most houses in your area with asphalt shingles on their roofs since they are durable and serve the purpose of creating that defensive barrier your home needs in addition to being more budget friendly. Also, they’re versatile and they’ll look good on any residential property.
Asphalt shingles have the tendency to be replaced more often than the more pricier options. They usually have a lifespan of 15-20 years. But there is the option to get higher-grade asphalt shingles that do last longer.
When should I replace my roof?
Replacing your roof should be an option when fixing up sections won't hold up. A roof replacement is necessary if you’re dealing with these kinds of problems:
- AGE: The older your roof is, the possibility of it needing to be replaced becomes more pressing. Asphalt shingles are a normal choice for residential spaces and these typically have a lifespan of 15-20 years. If your roof is around this age, it’s a smart choice to get routine inspections so you can determine when a roof replacement is needed.
- SAGGING: If your roof is drooping, it's a clue that the plywood decking is rotted. Sagging is not a good sign, and this does mean you need a roof replacement.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof is a protective barrier for the rest of your home, so it should come as no surprise that the materials that make up your roof will deteriorate over time.
How much is a roof?
It’s difficult to come up with precise amount on how much a new roof is going to come out to since there are several things that will determine the overall cost. Generally, a new roof can cost anywhere from $4 to $40 per square foot, which consists of the hours put into the project and the products used. The cost of your roof replacement will be determined by the products you want installed, and it's expected that 60% of the price will be for labor.
Measuring the size of your roof can also be challenging if your roof is more complex since you’ll have to account for hips, gabbles, and other angles. Here's how a roofing professional can be helpful to you. They’ll be able to determine the square footage of your roof and provide you with an accurate estimate on the cost of your roof.
Roofing Replacement & Roofing Repair Services in Suffolk, Virginia
Thumbtack is the all-in-one home improvement site that helps you connect with roofing maintenance companies in Suffolk, Virginia. See what experiences other customers have had, talk directly with the roofing repair company want to hire, get a quote, and more all from one easy-to-use app.
Our app also compiles a wealth of information to help you before you start sifting through our network of vetted roofing companies.
Do you need roofing maintenance services? Aside from leakage or other obvious issues, there are a few things that might illustrate whether a roof repair is a wise choice.
- Leaking: When your ceiling or walls have water stains, that's indicative of a leaky roof. A professional roofer can make repairs as soon as possible and stop it from getting worse.
- Sagging Roof Decks: Call a roofer immediately if you realize your roof deck is sagging since it can cause serious problems. Roofing repairs done by an expert will remediate the issue and avoid replacement services.
- Built-Up Granules in Gutters: A build up of granules from shingles accumulate in your gutters, and shingles wearing down are not a promising sign. A roofing maintenance company will clean your gutters in addition to checking up on your shingles.
- Broken flashing: Flashing is the material used to seal joints and stop water. A roofing contractor can fix damaged, loose, or missing flashing to avoid leaks.
- Missing or damaged shingles: If you notice there are shingles that are cracked, curled, or missing entirely, it's a sign that your roof needs attention. Roofing maintenance services will identify damaged shingles and provide first-rate repairs to avoid leaks from doing further damage.
Thumbtack is a free app providing you with an easy solution to hire the right companies for roofing maintenance services. Whether you need to hire a roofing replacement company or a repair contractor, your part of the process is made easier with our app.