Find a roofer in Portsmouth, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The timeframe for a roof replacement will be based on the dimensions of your roof, but there are also many other factors involved. The average residential roof is around 3,000 sq. feet (or less), so normally, a roofing professional can complete a roof replacement within a day.
Another thing you need to take into account is the weather forecast in your area. Poor weather will put a halt on work and this can really postpone the project. If this is going on during your roof replacement project, you could expect your roof to take a few more days to finish.
The style of your roof is an important factor that you should consider. Its pitch, the number of joints, valleys, and hips will need to be factored in when your roofing contractor is quoting you on your project. A roof with more features will take more time and your roof replacement specialist will be able to come up with a timeline for the project.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
Asphalt shingles are going to be the most cost-effective solution for your roof replacement, and just because they are the lower-cost product, it doesn’t mean they should be disregarded. In fact, you’ll see most residential properties in your area with asphalt shingles on their roofs since they are strong and do a great job of creating that defensive barrier your property needs in addition to being the affordable option. Also, they have a simple style that will look great on any home.
It is worth noting that asphalt shingles do require maintenance more often than the more pricier materials. They normally have a 15-20 year warranty. But you can also purchase higher-end asphalt shingles that do last longer.
When should I replace my roof?
Replacing your roof should be an option when fixing up sections won't hold up. A roof replacement is needed if you’re dealing with these types of issues:
- AGE: If your roof has aged, the probability of having it be replaced is greater. Asphalt shingles are quite common on residential properties and these typically have a warranty of 15-20 years. If your roof is around this age, it’s a smart idea to get regular inspections so you can determine when a roof replacement is needed.
- SAGGING: If your roof is drooping, it's a sign that the plywood decking is rotted. This isn't ideal, and this usually means you need your roof replaced.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof defends the rest of your property, so it should come as no surprise that the materials used for your roof will deteriorate over time.
How much is a roof?
It’s difficult to know exactly how much a roof replacement is going to come out to since there are several factors that will determine the total cost. Usually, a new roof can cost anywhere from $4 to $40 per square foot, which consists of labor and the products used. The price of your roof replacement will be factored by the products you want installed, and it's expected that 60% of your cost will be towards labor.
Getting an estimate for the size of your roof can also be tricky if you have a more complex roof since you’ll have to account for hips, gabbles, and other angles. Here's how a roofing contractor can be helpful to you. They’ll be able to determine the square footage of your roof and give you a better estimate on the price of your roof.
Roofing Maintenance Companies in Portsmouth, VA
Thumbtack is the perfect home improvement site that helps you hire roofing replacement and roofing repair contractors in Portsmouth, VA. See what other customers have to say, communicate directly with the roofing replacement company want to hire, get an estimate, and pay all from one convenient app.
Our platform also puts together a wealth of information to help you prior to sifting through our database of licensed roofing professionals.
Most of the time you'll know when you need to call in a roofing replacement or roofing repair professional, but listed below are some other aspects about your roof to take into consideration:
- The Age of Your Roof: Your roof is good for about 20-25 years. If you think your roof has been around for longer, it might be time to call a roofer to come check it out.
- Warps or Buckling: The boards that make your roof can warp or bend over time.
- Valleys in Your Roof: Roofs are built to let snow and rain flow through the valleys and into your gutters. If there are shingles missing or they've deteriorated, you could experience some leaks.
- Damaged flashing: Flashing is the material used to seal joints and prevent water. A roofing contractor can fix broken, loose, or missing flashing to avoid water leaks.
- Damaged or missing shingles: Cracked, curled, or missing shingles should be replaced by an expert. Routine inspections will also help you address issues like this and avoid leaks.
Thumbtack is free to use and provides you a convenient option to hire the best professionals to address your roofing needs. No matter if you need to hire a roofing repair company or a replacement contractor, your part of the job is streamlined through our app.