Find a roofer in Monterey, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The amount of time it takes to replace a roof is dependent on the size of your roof, however, there are also a lot of other things to consider. The average roof for a house is approximately 3,000 sq. feet, so generally speaking, a roofing contractor can complete a roof replacement within a working day.
Something else you should take into consideration is the weather forecast in your area. Bad weather will make working conditions awful and this is going to push out the timeline. If this is going on during your scheduled project, you could expect your roof to take a few more days to get done.
The style of your roof is an important thing that you should consider. Its grade, the number of joints, valleys, and facets will need to be accounted for when your roofing contractor is giving an estimate for your project. A complex roof will require a longer timeline and your roof replacement specialist can come up with a timeline for the project.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
The most affordable style of roof is going to be asphalt shingles, and just because they are the cheaper option, it doesn’t mean they aren’t good. Truthfully, you’ll see most residential properties in your area with asphalt shingling on the roof because they are strong and serve the purpose of creating that defensive barrier your property needs while being more budget friendly. Plus, they have a simple style that will look great on any residential property.
It is worth noting that asphalt shingles do wear out faster and require maintenance more often than the more expensive options. They normally have a warranty of 15-20 years. But there is the option to purchase higher-grade asphalt shingles that do perform even better.
When should I replace my roof?
Replacing your roof should be an option when fixing up sections just don’t do the job anymore. A roof replacement is necessary if you’re putting up with these types of problems:
- AGE: The older your roof is, the possibility of having it be replaced is more pressing. Asphalt shingles are very common on residential properties and these typically have a warranty of 15-20 years. If your roof is around this age, it’s a good idea to get routine inspections so you can figure out when a roof replacement is needed.
- SAGGING: Sagging is a clue that the deck plywood is damaged. Sagging is not ideal, and this does mean you need roof replacement services.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof is a protective barrier for your entire property, so there should be no shock that the materials used for your roof will deteriorate over time.
How much is a roof?
It’s difficult to narrow down how much a new roof is going to come out to because there are several things that will determine the overall cost. Typically, replacing your roof falls anywhere between $4 to $40 per square foot, which consists of the hours put into the project and the materials used. The cost of your new roof will be factored by the materials you want installed, and it's expected that 60% of the price will be for labor.
Measuring the size of your roof can also be hard if you have a more complex roof because you’ll have to account for hips, gabbles, and other angles. This is where a roofing professional can be of assistance. They’ll be able to calculate the square footage of your roof and give you a better estimate on the cost of your roof.
Roofing Repair & Roofing Replacement Companies near Monterey, Virginia
Thumbtack is the all-in-one home improvement site that helps you hire roofing repair and roofing replacement professionals in Monterey, Virginia. See what experiences other customers have had, communicate directly with the roofing replacement contractor you’re interested in, get a quote, and pay all from one easy-to-use app.
Every homeowner understands that maintenance is needed so that their property stays in good condition. It’s smart to stay on top of repairs in order to prevent an expensive roof replacement.
For the most part you'll know when you need to get in touch with a roofing maintenance contractor, but here are some other things to consider about your roof:
- You Are Experiencing Leaks: Water stains on the ceiling or walls are indicative of a leaky roof. A professional roofer can make repairs right away and stop it from getting worse.
- Warped or Bent Roof Deck: A warped or bent roof deck is an issue of concern and requires attention at once. An established roof repair contractor can remediate the problem before a replacement is needed.
- Built-Up Granules in Gutters: Excessive granules from shingles accumulate in your gutters, and shingles wearing down are not a promising sign. A roofing maintenance contractor will clean your gutters while checking up on your shingles.
- Broken flashing: Flashing is the material used to seal joints and stop water penetration. Contact a roofing maintenance contractor to fix damaged, loose, or missing flashing to avoid water leaks.
- Missing or damaged shingles: If you see shingles that are cracked, in pieces, or missing entirely, it's a sign that your roof needs to be looked at. Roofing maintenance services will identify deteriorated shingles and provide top-notch repairs to avoid leaks from doing further damage.
Thumbtack is free to use and provides you a convenient option to find the right companies for roofing repair and roofing replacement services. Whether you need to hire a roofing replacement company or a repair contractor, your part of the process is made easier with our platform.