Find a roofer in Syracuse, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Why is a good roof important?
The reason you want a good roof is because it protects your property, enhances your home’s curb appeal, and makes your home more energy efficient.
The roof is the barrier that offers security for the rest of your home. It defends against wind, rain, hail, snow, falling debris, and more. This means if your roof isn't stable, your home could develop some leaks, which can cause other problems.
Your roof also contributes a lot to your property value. Because it’s such an essential part of your property, a well-maintained roof illustrates a great deal of stability. In a situation where you are selling, a home buyer would be thrilled about your property if it has a solid, durable roof protecting it.
Finally, having an energy efficient house makes anyone happy. It means your energy bills aren't expensive and that your house maintains a comfortable temperature.
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The timeframe for a roof replacement will be based on the dimensions of your roof, however, there are also many other factors to consider. The average roof for a house is approximately 3,000 sq. feet, so normally, a roofing professional can complete a roof replacement within a working day.
Another thing you should take into consideration is the weather report in your area. Bad weather will put a halt on work and this is going to push out the timeline. If bad weather is expected to take place during your roof replacement project, you should anticipate your roof taking three to five days to complete.
The layout of your roof is another factor that you should consider. Its pitch, the number of joints, valleys, and facets will need to be accounted for when your roofing contractor is giving an estimate for the job. A roof with more features will take more time and your roof replacement contractor will be able to approximate the hours for the job.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
Asphalt shingles are going to be the most affordable materials for your new roof, and just because they are the lower-cost option, it doesn’t mean they aren’t good. Truthfully, you’ll see most houses in your neighborhood with asphalt shingles on their roofs since they are durable and do a great job of creating that defensive barrier your property needs while being the affordable option. Plus, they have a simple style that will look good on any residential property.
It is worth noting that asphalt shingles have the tendency to be replaced more often than the more pricier products. They usually have a warranty of 15-20 years. But you can also buy top-quality asphalt shingles that do perform even better.
When should I replace my roof?
Replacing your roof should be your ultimate decision when fixing up sections just don’t cut it anymore. A roof replacement is necessary if you’re putting up with these kinds of problems:
- AGE: The older your roof is, the likelihood of it needing to be replaced becomes greater. Asphalt shingles are a normal choice for residential spaces and these usually have a 15-20 year lifespan. When the roof on your property is around this age, it’s a good idea to get consistent inspections so you can figure out when a roof replacement is needed.
- SAGGING: When your roof is drooping, it's a clue that the deck plywood is rotted. This isn't ideal, and this indicates you need your roof replaced.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof protects the rest of your property, so it should come as no surprise that the materials that make up your roof will deteriorate over time.
Roofing Maintenance Services near Syracuse, NY
Thumbtack is the perfect home management site that helps you hire roofing repair and roofing replacement companies in Syracuse, NY. See what other customers have to say, communicate directly with the roofing repair company want to hire, get a quote, and pay all from one convenient app.
Our site also compiles a wealth of information to help you prior to browsing through our network of licensed roofing contractors.
For the most part you'll know when it's time to reach out to a roofing repair or roofing replacement company, but here are some other aspects about your roof to take into consideration:
- Age: Your roof is good for about 20-25 years, so if you know your roof is older than that, you may want to call a roofer to come check it out.
- Warped or Bent Roof Deck: A warped or bent roof deck is a critical issue and needs immediate attention. An established roof repair company can fix the problem before you wind up paying more for a replacement.
- Granule Buildup in Gutters: When you find excessive granules in your gutters from your shingles, it could indicate that your shingles are deteriorating. A roofing maintenance contractor will keep your gutters clean and cleared out.
- Broken flashing: Damaged flashing allows water to penetrate the sealed joints. Get in touch with a roofing company to fix worn out, missing, or damaged flashing to avoid leaks.
- Damaged or missing shingles: Cracked, warped, or missing shingles will need to be replaced by a professional. Regular maintenance services will help you address problems like this and avoid leaks.
Thumbtack is free to use and provides you an easy solution to find the best contractors to address your roofing needs. Whether you need to hire a roofing replacement company or a repair contractor, your job is streamlined through our platform.