Find a roofer in Oneonta, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Which roof style is the most affordable?
Asphalt shingles are the most budget friendly solution for your new roof, and just because they are the lower-cost product, it doesn’t mean they should be disregarded. Truthfully, you’ll see most residential properties in your area with asphalt shingles on their roofs because they are reliable and serve the purpose of creating that defensive barrier your home needs in addition to being more budget friendly. Plus, they have a simple style that will look good on any home.
Asphalt shingles do need to be replaced more often than the more expensive materials. They usually have a 15-20 year warranty. But there is the option to get top-quality asphalt shingles that do perform even better.
When should I replace my roof?
You should replace your roof when fixing up sections won't hold up. A roof replacement is required if you’re putting up with these types of issues:
- AGE: When your roof is older, the probability of having it be replaced becomes greater. Asphalt shingles are quite common amongst residential properties and these usually have a 15-20 year warranty. When your roof is around this age, it’s a good choice to get consistent inspections so you can determine when a roof replacement is needed.
- SAGGING: Sagging is a sign that the deck plywood is damaged. This isn't ideal, and this indicates you need a roof replacement.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof is a protective barrier for your entire home, so there should be no surprise that the materials that make up your roof will deteriorate over time.
What time of year is best to replace a roof?
It's possible to get your roof replaced during any season, fall is the most common time of year to get roof replacement services. Since it is a good time for a replacement, it can be a challenge to schedule time with a professional. This is why waiting until winter could be a more convenient time for an appointment.
A lot of professionals who specialize in roofing have more down time during the winter, but you could have more delays because of erratic weather. Summer is sort of like winter, but instead of wet and cold conditions, you’d be putting up with heat.
Spring is also not a terrible time for roof replacements. While there's a chance it can still be wet and rather unpredictable, it’s beginning to warm up, and any roofing damage you’ve had during the winter will be repaired.
Why is a good roof important?
The reason you want a good roof is because it protects your home, increases your home's value, and makes your energy efficiency better.
The roof is the protective barrier for your entire property. It defends against severe weather, falling objects, and more. So if your roof isn't stable, you could have some leaks in your home, and this can lead to other issues.
Your roof also contributes a lot to your curb appeal. Because it’s such an essential component of your home, a roof in good condition shows a great deal of stability. In the circumstance where you are selling, a buyer would be thrilled about your home if it has a strong, stable roof protecting it.
Lastly, having an energy efficient house makes anyone happy. It means your utility bills are lower and that your house keeps a comfortable temperature.
Roofing Maintenance Contractors near Oneonta, NY
Thumbtack is the all-in-one home improvement platform that helps you find roofing repair and roofing replacement contractors in Oneonta, NY. See what experiences other people have had, talk directly with the roofing replacement contractor want to hire, schedule a service appointment, and pay all from one easy-to-use app.
Our platform also puts together a wealth of information to help you before you start sifting through our database of vetted roofing companies.
Most of the time you'll know when it's time to call in a roofing repair or roofing replacement professional, but here are some other aspects to consider about your roof:
- Leaking: Stains from water on the ceiling or walls are a sign of your roof leaking. A good roofer can make repairs as soon as possible and stop it from getting worse.
- Warps or Buckling: The sheets of wood that make your roof can warp or bend over time.
- Built-Up Granules in Gutters: A build up of granules from shingles accumulate in your gutters, and shingles wearing down are not a promising sign. A roofing maintenance contractor will clean your gutters in addition to checking up on your shingles.
- Broken flashing: Flashing is important because it's used to protect joints and stop water penetration. Contact a roofing maintenance company to fix damaged, loose, or missing flashing to avoid leaks.
- Shingles: Inspecting your shingles can help you know if replacing them is necessary. If a patch of them are very discolored, replacing those is a smart idea so that your roof doesn't undergo more extensive damages.
Find a contractor who can make your roofing repair and roofing replacement a streamlined and satisfactory process. Once you’ve found the right candidate, then it's just getting your quote and scheduling an appointment to get your roofing maintenance started.