Find a roofer in Winterport, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Why is a good roof important?
The reason you want a good roof is because it protects your property, enhances your home’s curb appeal, and makes your home more energy efficient.
The roof is the barrier that offers security for the rest of your home. It blocks out wind, rain, hail, snow, falling objects, and more. This means if your roof isn't stable, your home could develop some leaks, and this can cause other problems.
Your roof also contributes a lot to your curb appeal. Because it’s such a fundamental component of your property, a roof in good condition shows a reliable property. If you were to sell, a home buyer would be thrilled about your property if it has a solid, stable roof protecting it.
Lastly, everyone is happy with an energy efficient house. It means your energy bills are lower and that your home keeps a consistent temperature.
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The amount of time that is needed to replace a roof is dependent on the dimensions of your roof, but there are also a lot of other factors to consider. The average residential roof is approximately 3,000 sq. feet, so normally, a roofing contractor can finish a roof replacement within a day.
Another thing you need to take into consideration is the projected weather in your area. Storms will make working conditions unpleasant and this will push out the timeline. If this is going on during your scheduled project, you could expect your roof to take three to five days to finish.
The style of your roof is another factor that you should think about. Its pitch, the number of angles, valleys, and hips will need to be factored in when your roofing contractor is quoting you on the job. A roof with more features will require a longer timeline and your roof replacement professional can approximate a timeline for the project.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
The most affordable style of roof is going to be asphalt shingles, and just because they are the cheaper option, it doesn’t mean they should be disregarded. In actuality, you’ll see most residential properties in your area with asphalt shingles on their roofs since they are durable and serve the purpose of creating that defensive barrier your property needs in addition to being more budget friendly. Plus, they’re versatile and they’ll look good on any home.
However, asphalt shingles do wear out faster and need to be replaced more often than the more pricier products. They normally have a warranty of 15-20 years. But there is the option to get top-quality asphalt shingles that do perform even better.
When should I replace my roof?
You should replace your roof when fixing up sections won't hold up. A roof replacement is required if you’re dealing with these kinds of problems:
- AGE: The older your roof is, the likelihood of having it be replaced is greater. Asphalt shingles are very common amongst residential homes and these usually have a warranty of 15-20 years. If the roof on your property has aged this much, it’s a smart idea to get routine inspections in order to figure out when a roof replacement is necessary.
- SAGGING: Sagging is a sign that the plywood decking is rotted. This isn't a good sign, and this indicates you need roof replacement services.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof is a protective barrier for the rest of your property, so it should come as no surprise that the materials that make up your roof will deteriorate over time.
Roofing Maintenance Services in Winterport, Maine
Thumbtack is the all-in-one home management site that helps you connect with roofing replacement and roofing repair contractors in Winterport, Maine. See what other customers have to say, communicate directly with the roofing replacement contractor want to hire, get a quote, and more all from one easy-to-use app.
Our platform also puts together useful data to help you prior to browsing through our database of vetted roofing professionals.
Most of the time you'll know when it's time to get in touch with a roofing maintenance contractor, but listed below are some other things to take into account:
- The Age of Your Roof: In general, 20-25 years is expected of a roof, so if you think your roof has been around for longer, you may want to call a roofer to come take a look at it.
- Warps or Buckling: The sheets of wood that make your roof can end up warping or are bending under pressure.
- Built-Up Granules in Gutters: Excessive granules from shingles gather in your gutters, and degrading shingles are not a promising sign. A roofing maintenance contractor will clean your gutters in addition to inspecting your shingles.
- Damaged flashing: Damaged flashing allows water to get to the sealed joints. Contact a roofing contractor to fix worn out, missing, or damaged flashing to avoid leaks.
- Shingles: Routing inspections of your shingles will let you know if replacing them is necessary. If you see some discoloration on your shingles, replacing those is a smart idea so that your roof doesn't undergo more extensive damages.
Find a company that can make your roofing replacement and roofing repair an easy process. Once you’ve found the right fit, then it's just getting your quote and scheduling an appointment to get your roofing maintenance started.