Find a roofer in South Portland, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The time that is needed to replace a roof really depends on the size of your roof, however, there are also many other things to consider. The typical residential roof is about 3,000 sq. feet (sometimes less), so usually, a roofing contractor can finish a roof replacement within a working day.
Something else you should take into account is the projected weather in your area. Poor weather will make working conditions awful and this is going to stall the job. If bad weather is supposed to happen during your roof replacement project, you should anticipate your roof taking three to five days to finish.
The layout of your roof is another thing that you should take into account. Its grade, the number of angles, valleys, and hips will need to be factored in when your roofing contractor is quoting you on your project. A complex roof will take more time and your roof replacement contractor can come up with the hours for the job.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
The style of roof that's the most budget friendly is going to be asphalt shingles, and just because they are the lower-cost option, it doesn’t mean they aren’t good. In actuality, you’ll see most residential properties in your neighborhood with asphalt shingling on the roof since they are strong and do a great job of creating that defensive barrier your property needs in addition to being the affordable option. Plus, they have a simple style that will look great on any residential property.
Asphalt shingles have the tendency to be replaced more often than the more pricier materials. They typically have a 15-20 year warranty. But you can also buy higher-end asphalt shingles that do last longer.
When should I replace my roof?
Replacing your roof should be an option when fixing up sections won't hold up. A roof replacement is required if you’re dealing with these kinds of issues:
- AGE: The older your roof is, the probability of having it be replaced is more pressing. Asphalt shingles are a regular choice for residential properties and these typically have a 15-20 year warranty. If your roof is around this age, it’s a wise idea to get consistent inspections so you can determine when a roof replacement is needed.
- SAGGING: Sagging is a clue that the deck plywood is damaged. This isn't a good sign, and this indicates you need roof replacement services.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof protects your entire property, so it should come as no surprise that the materials that make up your roof will deteriorate over time.
How much is a roof?
It’s challenging to come up with precise amount on how much a new roof is going to come out to since there are several things that will establish the overall cost. Mostly, a new roof can cost anywhere from $4 to $40 per square foot, which includes labor and the products being used. The price of your new roof will be factored by the products you want installed, and you can expect that 60% of your cost will be for labor.
Estimating the size of your roof can also be tricky if you have a more complex roof since you’ll have to account for various angles. This is where a roofing contractor can be helpful to you. They’ll be able to figure out the measurements of your roof and provide you with a better estimate on the price of your roof.
Roofing Maintenance Contractors in South Portland, ME
Thumbtack will make your search for roofing replacement and roofing repair services more convenient in South Portland, ME. Our user-friendly site is easy to navigate, which means you can look through various profiles and easily narrow down your options. We help with the hiring process by giving you useful information to ratings, pricing, background, and more. Begin your search for a roofing replacement and roofing repair company on the app and hire the best candidate for the job.
Our site also collects useful data to help you prior to sifting through our network of licensed roofing professionals.
Most of the time you'll know when you need to reach out to a roofing replacement or roofing repair company, but listed below are some other aspects about your roof to take into consideration:
- The Age of Your Roof: Your roof has a lifespan of about 20-25 years, so if you think your roof is older than that, you may want to call a roofing contractor to come check it out.
- Warped or Bent Roof Deck: A warped or bent roof deck is an issue of concern and needs to be attended to. A roofing repair contractor can fix the issue before you wind up paying more for a replacement.
- Built-Up Granules in Gutters: A build up of granules from shingles collect in your gutters, and shingles wearing down are not a promising sign. A roofing repair contractor will clean your gutters in addition to inspecting your shingles.
- Damaged flashing: Broken flashing allows water to penetrate the sealed joints. Get in touch with a roofing contractor to fix worn out, missing, or broken flashing to avoid leaks.
- Shingles: Having your shingles inspected can help you know if they need to be replaced. If a patch of them are very discolored, you’ll want to replace them so that your roof doesn't sustain more extensive damages.
It's unnecessary to deal with a dilapidated roof when there are so many qualified contractors available to assist. With our user-friendly platform, you can get quality roofing replacement and roofing repair services in South Portland, ME. Find the perfect contractor for your property today.