Find a roofer in Mount Desert, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Which roof style is the most affordable?
The style of roof that's the most cost-effective is going to be asphalt shingles, and just because they are the lower-cost option, it doesn’t mean they aren’t good. In actuality, you’ll see most homes in your area with asphalt shingles on their roofs because they are durable and do a fantastic job of protecting your property while being more budget friendly. Also, they have a simple style that will look good on any home.
It is worth noting that asphalt shingles have the tendency to be replaced more often than the more expensive materials. They typically have a 15-20 year lifespan. But you can also purchase top-quality asphalt shingles that do last longer.
When should I replace my roof?
Replacing your roof should be an option when repairs won't hold up. A roof replacement is required if you’re dealing with these types of problems:
- AGE: The older your roof is, the likelihood of it needing to be replaced becomes more pressing. Asphalt shingles are quite common on residential homes and these usually have a lifespan of 15-20 years. When your roof has aged this much, it’s a smart idea to get routine inspections so you can determine when a roof replacement is needed.
- SAGGING: When your roof is drooping, it's a sign that the deck plywood is damaged. Sagging is not ideal, and this does mean you need a roof replacement.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof protects the rest of your property, so there should be no surprise that the materials that make up your roof will get worn out over time.
What time of year is best to replace a roof?
Despite what time of year it is, you can get a roof replacement. However, fall is the most popular time of year for a roof replacement. But because it is a common time for roof replacements, it can be a challenge to schedule time with a contractor. This means that waiting until winter could be a better time for an appointment.
Many professionals who specialize in roofing have more down time during the winter, but you could be dealing with more severe weather conditions. Summer is kind of like winter, but instead of being cold, you’d be dealing with heat.
Spring can also be good for roof replacement services. Even though the weather can still be wet and somewhat unpredictable, it’s getting warmer, and any roofing damage you’ve gotten during the winter will be uncovered.
Why is a good roof important?
The reason you want a stable roof is because it provides security for your property, enhances your home’s curb appeal, and makes your energy efficiency better.
The roof is the protective barrier for the rest of your house. It defends against harsh weather, falling objects, and more. So if your roof isn't stable, you could experience leaks in your home, and this can lead to other problems.
Your roof also does so much for your property value. Since it’s such an important component of your property, a well-maintained roof shows a reliable property. In a situation where you are selling, a home buyer would be thrilled about your property if it has a solid, stable roof over it.
Finally, everyone is content with an energy efficient home. It means your energy bills aren't expensive and that your home keeps a comfortable temperature.
Roofing Maintenance Contractors near Mount Desert, ME
Thumbtack is the all-in-one home management site that helps you find roofing maintenance contractors in Mount Desert, ME. See what others have to say, communicate directly with the roofing replacement contractor want to hire, get an estimate, and pay all from one easy-to-use app.
Every homeowner understands that maintenance is necessary to keep their property in a favorable condition. It’s best to keep on top of repairs to avoid having to pay the steep price of replacing a roof prematurely.
Are you looking for roofing maintenance services? Aside from having leaks or other obvious problems, there are a few things that might determine whether a roof repair is a good choice.
- Age: In general, 20-25 years is expected of a roof, so if you think your roof has been around for longer, you may want to contact a roofer to come take a look at it.
- Warps or Buckling: The boards that make your roof can end up warping or are bending over time.
- Valleys in Your Roof: Roofs are designed to allow snow and rain to flow through the valleys downward to your gutters. When there aren't any shingles in place or they've deteriorated, you may get some leakage.
- Damaged flashing: Flashing is the material used to protect joints and prevent water penetration. Contact a roofing repair contractor to fix broken, loose, or missing flashing to avoid leaks.
- Damaged or missing shingles: Torn, curled, or missing shingles will need to be swapped out with new ones by an expert. Regular repair services will help you address problems like this and avoid leaks.
Hire a contractor who can make your roofing maintenance an easy process. Once you’ve found the contractor you want, then it's just requesting a quote and scheduling an appointment to get your roof in order.