Find a roofer in Skokie, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Why is a good roof important?
The reason you want a good roof is because it provides security for your home, enhances your home’s curb appeal, and makes your energy efficiency better.
The roof is the defensive barrier for the rest of your home. It blocks out severe weather, falling objects, and more. So if your roof isn't stable, you could get leaks in your home, and this can cause other problems.
Your roof also does a lot for your curb appeal. Since it’s such an essential component of your home, a well-maintained roof shows a great deal of stability. In a situation where you are selling, a home buyer would be thrilled about your home if it has a strong, stable roof protecting it.
Finally, having an energy efficient house delights anyone. It means your energy bills are lower and that your house keeps a comfortable temperature.
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The amount of time it takes to replace a roof is dependent on the dimensions of your roof, but there are also many other factors to think about. The typical residential roof is approximately 3,000 sq. feet (sometimes less), so generally speaking, a roofing professional can finish a roof replacement within a working day.
Something else you should take into account is the projected weather in Skokie, IL. Storms will put a stop to work and this can really stall the job. If this is going on during your scheduled project, you should anticipate your roof taking three to five days to complete.
The style of your roof is an important factor that you should consider. Its grade, the number of angles, valleys, and facets will need to be accounted for when your roofing contractor is giving an estimate for your project. A complex roof will require a longer timeline and your roof replacement contractor will be able to come up with the hours for the project.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
The style of roof that's the most cost-effective is going to be asphalt shingles, and just because they are the lower-cost option, it doesn’t mean they should be disregarded. In actuality, you’ll see most homes in your area with asphalt shingles on their roofs since they are strong and do a fantastic job of protecting your home while being more budget friendly. Also, they have a simple style that will look good on any residential property.
Asphalt shingles have the tendency to be replaced more often than the more expensive materials. They normally have a warranty of 15-20 years. But you can always purchase top-quality asphalt shingles that do last longer.
When should I replace my roof?
You should replace your roof when fixing up sections just don’t cut it anymore. A roof replacement is needed if you’re putting up with these kinds of problems:
- AGE: The older your roof is, the possibility of it needing to be replaced is greater. Asphalt shingles are very common on residential houses and these typically have a warranty of 15-20 years. When your roof is around this age, it’s a good idea to get routine inspections in order to determine when a roof replacement is necessary.
- SAGGING: Sagging is a sign that the plywood decking is rotted. This isn't ideal, and this indicates you need your roof replaced.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof defends the rest of your home, so it should come as no surprise that the materials that make up your roof will deteriorate over time.
Top 10 Roofing Professionals near Skokie, IllinoisHome // Illinois // Skokie
Roofing Maintenance Contractors in Skokie, IL
Thumbtack is the all-in-one home improvement platform that helps you find roofing repair and roofing replacement contractors in Skokie, IL. See what experiences other people have had, communicate directly with the roofing repair company you’re interested in, schedule an appointment, and pay all from one convenient app.
Our site also puts together useful data to help you prior to browsing through our database of qualified roofing professionals.
Most of the time you'll know when it's time to call in a roofing replacement or roofing repair company, but here are some other things to take into account:
- Leaking: Stains from water on the ceiling or walls are indicative of a leaky roof. A good roofer can make repairs as soon as possible and stop it from getting worse.
- Warps or Buckling: The boards that make your roof can end up warping or are bending over time.
- Built-Up Granules in Gutters: Excessive granules from shingles gather in your gutters, and shingles wearing down are not a promising sign. A roofing repair company will clean your gutters while checking up on your shingles.
- The Chimney Flashing: For those whose flashing around the chimney is tar or roof cement you may need to replace it with a water-tight fitting which includes a metal flashing system.
- Missing or damaged shingles: When you see shingles that are cracked, curled, or missing entirely, this can be an indicator that your roof needs attention. A roof inspection will identify damaged shingles and provide first-rate repairs to avoid leaks from causing further damage.
Thumbtack is a free app that gives you a hassle-free option to find the right professionals for roofing repair and roofing replacement services. Whether you’re looking for a roofing replacement company or a repair contractor, your job is made easier with our app.