Find a roofer in your area
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The timeframe for a roof replacement really depends on the measurements of your roof, however, there are also a lot of other factors involved. The average residential roof is about 3,000 sq. feet, so usually, a roofing professional can complete a roof replacement within a working day.
Something else you need to take into account is the weather forecast in your area. Storms will make working conditions less than ideal and this is going to stall the job. If a storm is expected to happen during your roof replacement project, you should anticipate your roof taking a few more days to complete.
The style of your roof is an important factor that you should take into account. Its grade, the number of joints, valleys, and hips will need to be factored in when your roofing contractor is quoting you on your project. A complex roof will require a longer timeline and your roof replacement contractor will be able to come up with the hours for the job.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
Asphalt shingles are going to be the most budget friendly materials for your new roof, and just because they are the lower-cost product, it doesn’t mean they aren’t good. In fact, you’ll see most residential properties in your area with asphalt shingles on their roofs because they are reliable and do a fantastic job of protecting your home while being the affordable option. Plus, they have a simple style that will look good on any home.
However, asphalt shingles have the tendency to be replaced more often than the more pricier products. They typically have a warranty of 15-20 years. But you can also buy top-quality asphalt shingles that do perform even better.
When should I replace my roof?
Replacing your roof needs to be your ultimate decision when repairs won't hold up. A roof replacement is necessary if you’re dealing with these types of problems:
- AGE: The older your roof is, the likelihood of having it be replaced is more pressing. Asphalt shingles are quite common on residential spaces and these typically have a 15-20 year warranty. If your roof is around this age, it’s a wise idea to get routine inspections in order to figure out when a roof replacement is necessary.
- SAGGING: If your roof is drooping, it's a clue that the plywood decking is rotted. Sagging is not ideal, and this usually means you need roof replacement services.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof is a defensive barrier for the rest of your home, so it should come as no surprise that the materials that make up your roof will get worn out over time.
How much is a roof?
It’s challenging to come up with an exact amount on how much a roof replacement is going to cost you because there are a few factors that will influence the total cost. Commonly, replacing your roof is in the ballpark of $4 to $40 per square foot, which consists of labor and the products used. The cost of your new roof will be calculated by the products you want for your roof, and you can expect that 60% of the price will be towards labor.
Getting an estimate for the size of your roof can also be difficult if you have a more complex roof because you’ll have to factor in various angles. Here's how a roofing contractor can be helpful to you. They’ll be able to calculate the measurements of your roof and give you an accurate estimate on the cost of your roof replacement.
Roofing Replacement & Roofing Repair Contractors near Your Area
Thumbtack will simplify your search for roofing repair and roofing replacement services in your area. Our user-friendly platform is easy to navigate, so you can look through dozens of profiles and come up with some options. We help with the vetting process by giving you access to in-depth customer reviews, pricing information, experience, and more. Begin your search for a roofing repair and roofing replacement company here on Thumbtack and find the right professional for the job.
Every homeowner knows that maintenance is needed so that their property remains in good condition. It’s smart to stay on top of repairs to avoid having to pay an expensive roof replacement.
Most of the time you'll know when you need to get in touch with a roofing repair or roofing replacement company, but here are some other things to take into account:
- Age: Your roof is good for about 20-25 years. If you think your roof has been around for longer, you may want to contact a roofing contractor to come inspect it.
- Warps or Buckling: The sheets of wood that make your roof can warp or bend under pressure.
- Valleys in Your Roof: Roofs are designed to let snow and rain flow through the valleys and into your gutters. If there are shingles missing or they've deteriorated, you may get some leakage.
- Broken flashing: Flashing is important because it's used to seal joints and stop water. Contact a roofing maintenance company to fix broken, loose, or missing flashing to prevent water leaks.
- Damaged or missing shingles: Torn, warped, or missing shingles will need to be replaced by a roofer. Regular repair services will help you address problems like this and prevent leaks.
Thumbtack is free to use and gives you an easy solution to find the best professionals to address your roofing needs. No matter if you need to hire a roofing repair company or a replacement contractor, your job is made easier through our platform.